I remember you as you were .

I remember you as you were
in the last  a u t u m n . 

You were the grey beret and the still heart.

In your eyes the flames of the  t w i l i g h t  fought on.
And the leaves fell in the water of your  s o u l .

Clasping my arms like a climbing plant
the leaves garnered your voice,
that was slow and at  p e a c e .

Bonfire of  a w e  in which my thirst was burning.
Sweet blue hyacinth twisted over my soul.

I feel your eyes traveling,
and the autumn is far off:

Grey beret, voice of a bird, heart like a house
Towards which my deep  l o n g i n g s  migrated
and my kisses fell, happy as embers.

Sky from a ship.
Field from the hills:

Your  m e m o r y  is made of light, of smoke, of a still pond!

Beyond your eyes, farther on,
the evenings were blazing.
Dry autumn leaves revolved in your soul. 


- Pablo Neruda


(photo courtesy of yuma1983)